Mill Mountain Greenway is a 3.3 mile paved route connecting downtown to the Mill Mountain Star. The greenway officially begins at the Wells Fargo Tower, tying into Lick Run Greenway and providing continuous greenway connectivity across the valley. The route weaves through the market area using existing sidewalks and streets, then follows an off-road sidewalk at Church Avenue. After winding through Elmwood Park, the greenway parallels Williamson Road through the railroad district as a separate, protected pathway. The greenway wraps around itself under 581 and lands on the sidewalks of Walnut Avenue bridge. From here bicycles share the road and pedestrians follow sidewalks and streets to reach the old road up the mountain. The historic Prospect Road is steep, going under the Mill Mountain Tollbooth and around the switchback bridge. Walkers and bicyclists will be challenged going up the mountain, but rewarded to reach the Discovery Center and two overlooks, in addition to the Star.
Interactive Trail Map
Some trails cross jurisdictions along route. Rules vary by jurisdiction.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Keep to the right, pass on the left.
- Give an audible warning when passing.
- Maintain safe, courteous speeds.
- Keep pets on a leash.
- Clean up after pets.
- Keep the greenway trash free.
- No trespassing after hours.
- No motor vehicles.
- No alcohol, camping, hunting, or fires.
City of Roanoke Hours:
- Hours: 6 am – 11 pm.
This trail crosses the following jurisdictions:City of Roanoke
General Trail Etiquette
- Share the trail.
- Slow down when congested.
- Do not take up more than half the trail.
- Keep leashes short.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment.
- Step off the trail when stopping.
- Scoop the poop immediately.
- Carry trash to waste receptacles.