Garden City Greenway is a two mile, paved, neighborhood greenway that connects the Garden City area to Roanoke River Greenway. Started as a Safe Routes to School project, the upper portions are wide sidewalks along Garden City Boulevard, providing connections to the elementary school, businesses, and Garden City Recreation Center at Hancock Park. The lower section follows Garnand Branch, providing an off-road path that is built out of permeable asphalt. At Riverland Road, a pedestrian light facilitates crossing the street to continue on to Roanoke River. In 2019 a trail connection from the recreation center to the Blue Ridge Parkway horse trail was completed for hikers.
Interactive Trail Map
Some trails cross jurisdictions along route. Rules vary by jurisdiction.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Keep to the right, pass on the left.
- Give an audible warning when passing.
- Maintain safe, courteous speeds.
- Keep pets on a leash.
- Clean up after pets.
- Keep the greenway trash free.
- No trespassing after hours.
- No motor vehicles.
- No alcohol, camping, hunting, or fires.
City of Roanoke Hours:
- Hours: 6 am – 11 pm.
This trail crosses the following jurisdictions:City of Roanoke
General Trail Etiquette
- Share the trail.
- Slow down when congested.
- Do not take up more than half the trail.
- Keep leashes short.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment.
- Step off the trail when stopping.
- Scoop the poop immediately.
- Carry trash to waste receptacles.