Poor Mountain Preserve is a 933-acre site managed by the Virginia Natural Heritage Division to protect the globally rare piratebush. This shrub has brilliant yellow leaves in fall and a green fruit that is a drupe. The Preserve has 3.4 miles of natural surface trails, with overlooks and benches, but the parking lot is quite small. Hikers are asked to go elsewhere if the parking lot is full. Additional information is available on the DCR website.
Interactive Trail Map
Some trails cross jurisdictions along route. Rules vary by jurisdiction.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Keep to the right, pass on the left.
- Give an audible warning when passing.
- Maintain safe, courteous speeds.
- Keep pets on a leash.
- Clean up after pets.
- Keep the greenway trash free.
- No trespassing after hours.
- No motor vehicles.
- No alcohol, camping, hunting, or fires.
Roanoke County Hours:
- Hours: 6 am -9 pm.
This trail crosses the following jurisdictions:Roanoke County
General Trail Etiquette
- Share the trail.
- Slow down when congested.
- Do not take up more than half the trail.
- Keep leashes short.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment.
- Step off the trail when stopping.
- Scoop the poop immediately.
- Carry trash to waste receptacles.